Suffer to be great  

Posted by Kamelia

Tuti: You know, I've studied literature for a long time. When you've studied for that long, you'd expect that I would have had a book out by now.

Me: So why don't you write a book?

Tuti: I haven't suffered enough.

Me: Huh?

Tuti: Think about it. Keats, Van Gogh, Shakespeare. They've all gone through some period of depression or were misunderstood for their time. Me, I'm too happy. I haven't had some misfortune to happen to me, that I would be unsatisfied enough to write a book about. I am too happy to be a celebrated writer.

Me: Well...that makes sense. I think I have the same problem too....

Note: A conversation remembered from four years ago.

This entry was posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 and is filed under . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Malaysia License.